On March 11th, 2015, at NESTA hotel – Can Tho City, the kick-off workshop of the “Rise and Fall – Strategies for Subsiding and Urbanizing Mekong Delta, Vietnam, Facing increasing salt water intrusion” project was organised by Can Tho University (CTU) and other members of the project (including: Utrecht University (Netherland), Division for Water Resources Planning and Investigation for the South of Vietnam (DWRPIS) and Southern Institute of Water Resources Research (SIWRR)).
– Workshop delegates include:
- Representatives of CTU and College of Environment and Natural Resources (CENRes);
- Representatives of Delta Research and Global Observation Network (DRAGON), CTU;
- Representatives of Utrecht University (Netherlands);
- Representatives of the Netherlands Embassy in Vietnam;
- Representatives of the VEI project – Climate Change and Water Supply in Mekong Delta;
- Leaders and representatives of Departments of Natural Resources and Environment and Departments of Argiculture and Rural Development of Soc Trang Province, Tra Vinh Province and Can Tho City;
- Representatives of the Southwest Steering Committee;
- Experts from many universities and research institutes: Utrecht University (Netherlands), SIWRR, DWRPIS, Ho Chi Minh University of Technology and others colleges of Can Tho University.
The workshop aims to manage the water resources sustainably (for both surface and groundwater) in coastal areas in the Vietnamese Mekong Delta (VMD) on the rising trends and consequent impacts of urbanization, climage change and sea level rise, which has negatively affected on local residents livelihood. The main problems were discussed in the workshop: (i) Ideas to enhance the effectiveness and feasibility of the project, and (ii) The better way to exchange the research results among researchers and managers at different levels.
Prof. Dr. Nguyen Hieu Trung – Dean of CENRes, CTU – Head of the project – Head of the workshop had the opening remarks and report about relevant water resources problems in the VMD at the present and projected challenges in the future.
Other speeches have discussed about the water resources governance (both surface and groundwater resources), the depression of land surface and seawater intrusion in coastal areas in VMD.
– Photo at the workshop (more details):
The opening remarks of Associate Prof. Dr. Nguyen Hieu Trung – Dean of CENRes, CTU – Head of the project – Head of the workshop
Prof. Piet Hoekstra – Utrecht University, Netherland – Head coordinator of the project reported at the workshop
Discussion at the workshop