To enhance the capabilities of individuals and organizations to develop sustainable strategies to deal with groundwater extraction, land subsidence and seawater intrusion in urban areas.
- To enhance the capabilities of individuals and organizations to develop sustainable strategies to deal with groundwater extraction, land subsidence and seawater intrusion in the increasingly urbanizing in the Vietnamese Mekong Delta.
- To develop a new integrated delta model to analyse the impacts of natural phenomena in the increasingly urbanising in the Vietnamese Mekong Delta.
- To stimulate exchanged-knowledge and scientific interaction between project members and the general Urbanising Deltas of World (UDW) program.
- To determine the strategies for water extraction management, land subsidence, and seawater intrusion (in both surface and groundwater resources) in the Vietnamese Mekong Delta.
- To quantify and predict the physical changes including groundwater resources, land subsidence, and seawater intrusion in coastal areas to develop a general model to provide a sufficient knowledge-base for project’s partners and local governments.
- To enhance competence of researchers and social stakeholders in the application of general model output.
- To develop regional human resources and governance strategies aiming at sustainable development of the Vietnamese Mekong Delta.
- To inrease awareness of seawater intrusion and land subsidence among local residents and governments (at different levels) to promote the application of the developed general model in research region in specifict and in the Vietnamese Mekong Delta in general.
2. Expected outcomes
- Scientific-exchanged among project members and the UDW program members.
- Current dynamics and future changes of water resources (both fresh and seawater) in the context of changes of surface water, land subsidence and urbanization.
- Water governance strategies for better management of groundwater extraction, land subsidence, and seawater intrusion.
- A new integrated deltaic model to assess water resources dynamics in the context of land subsidence, groundwater extraction, and urbanization. General result from the model is to upgrade knowledge of project’s partners and governments (at different levels).
- Competence enhancement of researchers, social stakeholders in the application of model output.
- Increasing awareness of water-related problems in the project, and the use of the new integrated model.
- Publishing scientific articles in domestic and international journals, presenting outputs of the project in different national/regional/ international workshops and including projects’ finding in different courses in both under- and post-graduation program in Can Tho University and other research partners.